Tuesday, May 09, 2006

USB Thumbdrive Wear Out

Seems like an eternity since my last post. Life has been busy for me, but I thought this article on USB and Media Flash Drives was important enough for me to come out of hiding.

Last night I read a number of articles (see below links) regarding the lifespan of flash memory. This includes USB thumbdrives and the memory you use for your digital camera. Basically these articles informed me that based on the quality of the thumb drive and how I use it will determine how long it works.

For an overview take a look at James Yeang's FriedBeef Blog you can read his full article here. Not only will you get an overview, but he provides a simple tool to calculate the lifespan of your drive.

For a more detail report read Leo Nottenboom of ask-leo.com report you can read his full article here.

The one thing I took away from this is that I ought to be backing up my USB drives and memory cards if I keep important information on them. Otherwise I am not too worried since it seems I buy a new one every two to three years when larger capacities become available at reasonable prices.

No comments: